Sunday, November 6, 2011

Privileged

This year, my school is undergoing a lot of changes after receiving a large grant. A brand new astroturf football field has been installed, and the baseball and softball fields are in process now. Portable buildings are being taken down, new classrooms and courtyards are being built... it's going to be a pretty snazzy place when it's done. I think it is great that our school is upping its game and making it a better place for students to learn. But it frustrates me when I still hear students and teachers complaining about the poor quality of the school's technology, or the lack of electives offered.

It can be easy to think that in order for students to be successful, the schools have to have the latest technology. However, that is not true.



All of these pictures were taken at schools that I saw during my trip to Honduras this past June. None of them had electricity--that means no computers, no Active Boards, and no lights. They had windows to let in light, and school only meets during the day, so why would they need electricity? None of these schools had turf fields either. A dirt field or an open clearing will do just as well. But, amazingly enough, the kids that we saw were still learning.

I hope that this post doesn't come across as overly cynical. I understand that technology can be a very useful tool in education. I just want people to realize that it is a privilege, not a right.

2 comments:

  1. We are rich and spoiled on many levels. I am so happy to see a young women that can understand and appreciate how fortunate we are here in the USA. Thank you for offering your experiences and insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete